The web soil survey popularly known as WSS provides soil data and information that is obtained by a national co-operative soil survey. It is operated by the USDA natural resources conservation service (NRCS) and also provides hold to the largest natural resource information system around the world.
The site is updated and kept online under a single authoritative source of soil survey information.
NRCS derives data includes soil maps and data available online for more than 95% of nations counties and analyses the data for coming 100 years further.
Percentage of the area covered by soil survey
NRCS has more than 95% of soil maps and data available regarding the details of soil, online. The nation counties and anticipates having 100% in the coming future.
Use of soil survey
This process is used to classify soils, their types and other properties provided in a given area and geo-encoding information
Primary data is acquired by field sampling and by remote sensing.
These surveys are helpful for general farm, local and wider area planning. On spot, the investigation is required in few areas as soil quality, assessments, and few conservation and engineering applications
Importance of soil survey
They are an essential component of technology transfer.
They are needed to perceive the knowledge related to agricultural fields and about other plots in certain areas.
They also provide the similarity and difference between the two research fields.
Steps regarding survey
- Define your area of interest in interest bar.
- Use soil map tab to describe the soils along with provided images.
- Use the explorer tab to get the soil data and know the suitability of the soil for a particular use.
- Get your customized report with full descriptive information about the soil and its particular use.
Components of soil survey
- Brief information about how to use the survey.
- A general provision of the map to compare the sustainability and large sections of the county.
- Outlined and indexed soil series with specific details
- A section is provided on the use and proper management of soils.
- Tables are provided with a series of specific soil and outlines.
- Tables are provided to show suitability based on standards set by the NRCS.
Soil mapping under soil survey
- Soil mapping is a process of categorizing types of soil, properties, contents, area, etc and geo-encoding such information.
- It uses the principles of soil science and provides theories of soil, physical geography, analysis of cultivation, land patterns, etc.
- The information of the survey done is helpful to farmers and ranchers.
- The survey also defines the nutrient contents in particular soil.
- It also defines whether the soil is good for cultivation of crops.
- If the soil tested is not good for cultivation of crops then it is brought under construction purposes and tend further studied for that.
Read More: Walmart survey
Soil survey is helpful to determine the soil properties and contents that either helps farmer and ranchers those produce crops or to the engineers and architects that build facilities on the same land.